In this guide, we’ll talk about modern paganism.
First let’s start by clearing a few things out of the way:
- Paganism does NOT have anything to do with sacrificial ceremonies of animals, children, or people.
- Pagans do not hate against religions, in fact, many of us welcome different spiritual and religious beliefs.
- Pagans may not be witches and witches may not be pagan. This means that Paganism is simply the spiritual aspect whereas witchcraft is ceremonial magick.
- Pagans do not always dress in all black. In fact, I like to dress pretty snazzily.
- Pagans are not miserable people. In fact, pagans often choose to be happy and create their own life and spiritual practice, rather than wallow in self-pity.
- Paganism is not a cult. We do not threaten people who want to go on a different spiritual path. We encourage others to explore their spiritual path.
Please also be aware that this article is based on my own values and beliefs as a Druid and Pagan, We are all different and if you ask ten pagans how they view the world you will most likely get a plethora and different opinions.
What is Paganism?
Paganism is defined as “A polytheistic or pantheistic nature-worshipping religion” as quoted from The Pagan Federation. This means that a pagan may worship one or many gods and goddesses. Pagans may also believe in may different values and beliefs.
So what is modern paganism?
Modern paganism basically means that a pagan may take core values from ancestral paganistic traditions and apply them to their own traditons and rituals.
For example, I worship Epona goddess of horses and Cernunnos god of animals, and the forest, But my deities and traditions I prefer to follow are of Celtic descent.
Modern Pagans have a few similar beliefs which are as follows
- Respect for nature.
- A passion for preserving the earth.
- Not judging others for their choices or ways of life.
- Living a joyous harmonious life without harming others.
- Belief in bringing compassion back to humanity.
- Respect and compassion for animals, and people.
- Communicating with nature, animals, and even weather.
- Tuning into nature, animals, stones, and our environment to gain spiritual knowledge or insight.
- Being responsible for our choices, reactions, and how we choose to live life. We are the creator of our own destiny here on earth.
- Understanding every choice has a consequence of whether that choice is harmful or not. It is also choosing to live a peaceful life at all times.
Practitioners of modern paganism may also engage in rituals such as journaling in tune with the moon cycles, celebrating moon cycles, and self-care rituals such as meditation, energy healing such as reiki, and mindfullness.
What Modern Paganism Is Not
- It is not a social status. It does not make you a better person than anyone else in this life or any life following.
- It is not a toy and is not meant to be used as a scare tactic or to gain control over someone who may not have similar beliefs.
- We do not partake in sex orgies, drug, or alcohol enhanced magick or study.
- We do not force or scare someone into our beliefs.
- It is not a popularity contest to see who is more magical than the other either. We are all-powerful beings that can create positive vibrations and kindness into the world.
What are your spiritual beliefs?